Descendants of Jonas Reynolds
Generation No. 1
1. Jonas1 Reynolds was born 18 Jan 1750/51 in Virginia1, and died Aft. 17 May 1812 in Surry Co, NC2. He married Mary2 1783 in North Carolina3. She was born 08 Apr 1760 in North Carolina4, and died Aft. 18205.
1783 Received by Request into the Deep River Monthly Meeting, Guilford Co, NC
SCDB C:404, 22 Nov 1785, John Booth to Jonas Runnels for L60, 300 a on Forbis Creek incl Chestnut Hill and adj. Frohock's SW corner, wit Nathaniel Brothers, Charles Vandever, Henry Speer.
This seventeenth day of the fifth month One Thousand Eight Hundred and twelve I Jonas Reynolds of Surry County and State of North Carolina being in a bad state of health but of perfect mind and memory and knowing the mortality of my body do make this my last will and testament touching such worldly estate herewith it hath plesed God to bless me in the life which I give and dispose of in the manner and form following. First it is my will and I do order all my just debts and funeral charges to be paid out of my personal estate. 2nd I give unto my beloved wife Mary Reynolds one sorrel mare with her sadle and bridle and one cow and calf her choice of my stock with all her wareing apperrel to her and her heirs forever. In like manner one feather bed and furniture. 3rd For favors done for my sons Thomas & George I think it proper to pass them by in silence. 4th I give unto my son William Reynolds sixty acres of land lying between Thomas & George at the west end of my tract to him and his heirs forever. 5th I give unto my son Jonas Reynolds one hundred acres of land, the remainder of my tract adjoining Anderson Hutchenses line wherein my present dwelling house stands to him and his heirs forever whitith his allowing his mother privilege of living in her possession of the same during her widowhood. 6th I give unto my daughters Jane Carter & Elizabeth Mackie one cow to be equally divided between them to them and their heirs. 7th I give unto my three young daughters Millicent, Mary & Lydia Renolds & each of them the yearlings or calfs they at present lay claim to them and their heirs forever and the remainder of my moveable property be converted to the use of paying my debts and after that if any ballence remain for my widow to have it to help her to school my children. And lastly I constitute and appoint my sons Thomas & George Reynolds Executors of this my last will and testament confirming this and no other to be my last will utterly revoking all former wills or executors before this time named confirming this and no other to be my last will & testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand seal the day & year first above written.
Signed, sealed, and acknowledged by him the said Jonas Reynolds to be his last will & testament in the presence of us the subscribers. Jonas Reynolds. Wit: William Leachary (Teachary?), John Bond
Children of Jonas Reynolds and Mary are:
2 i. Mary2 Reynolds, born in Surry Co, NC. She married John Mackey 31 Jan 1819 in Surry Co, NC6.
1820, Disowned by the Deep Creek Monthly Meeting for marrying outside unity.7
3 ii. Lydia Reynolds, born in Surry Co, NC.
823, Disowned by the Deep Creek Monthly Meeting (Quaker)
4 iii. Thomas Reynolds8, born 05 Jun 1784 in North Carolina9.
1812, Surry Co, NC Tax List, 60 Acres, 2 Polls
+ 5 iv. George Reynolds, born 11 Jan 1786 in Surry Co, NC; died 19 Jan 1853 in Yadkin Co, NC.
6 v. Jane Reynolds10, born 17 May 1789 in Surry Co, NC11. She married Unknown Carter12.
1809, Disowned by the Deep Creek Monthly Meeting (Quaker)13
7 vi. Elizabeth Reynolds14, born 09 May 1791 in Surry Co, NC15. She married (1) Unknown Mackie16 Bef. 1812. She married (2) Wiley Spence 12 Dec 1837 in Surry Co, NC17.
8 vii. Millicent Reynolds, born 14 Jul 1793 in Surry Co, NC18. She married John Bond, Jr..
+ 9 viii. William Reynolds, born 09 Oct 1795 in Surry Co, NC.
10 ix. Jonas Reynolds, born 1801 in Surry Co, NC19; died 1828 in Indiana19. He married Mary Hanes 18 Mar 1827 in Surry Co, NC20.
1827, Condemned his marrying outside of unity.21
Generation No. 2
5. George2 Reynolds (Jonas1)22 was born 11 Jan 1786 in Surry Co, NC23,24,25, and died 19 Jan 1853 in Yadkin Co, NC26. He married Mary Hadley 12 Apr 1812 in Surry Co, NC27, daughter of Simon Hadley and Mary Spencer. She was born 04 Sep 1797 in Surry Co, NC28,29, and died 05 May 1841 in Yadkin Co, NC29,30.
1812 Surry Co, NC Tax List, 60 acres, 1 poll
Lived on Deep Creek, about 4 miles north of Yadkinville, NC.
Surry Co, NC Will Abstracts, Book 4. 4:37. 17 March 1827. George Reynolds served as co-executor with the widow Mary of his father-in-law Simon Hadley. Will mentions wife Mary, son Spencer, daughter Lavina and other daughters.
Children of George Reynolds and Mary Hadley are:
+ 11 i. Jonas D.3 Reynolds, born 16 Jul 1813 in Surry Co, NC; died Abt. 28 Aug 1883 in Bates Co, MO.
12 ii. Michael S. Reynolds, born 02 Sep 181431,32.
+ 13 iii. Hadley Reynolds, born 26 Aug 1816 in Surry Co, NC.
14 iv. Elizabeth Reynolds, born 16 Nov 1818.
Enumerated on the 1850 Surry Co, NC census unmarried with her brother Hadley Reynolds as head of household. Her father, George, and sister, Lydia, were also members of the household.
+ 15 v. William Reynolds, born 28 Nov 1820 in Surry Co, NC; died Bet. 1870 - 1880 in Yadkin Co, NC.
+ 16 vi. Abigail Reynolds, born 04 Jul 1823 in Surry Co, NC; died 03 Jun 1897.
17 vii. Simon Reynolds, born 12 Apr 182632.
18 viii. Mary Ann Reynolds, born 26 Aug 1830.
Had two sons but never married. The father of the children was evidentally killed in the Civil War.
Enumerated on the 1850 Surry Co, NC Census in the household of her sister Abagail, who was married to Joseph W. Carter.
19 ix. Lydia Reynolds, born 04 Jul 1833.
Enumerated on the 1850 Surry Co, NC census as a member of the household of her brother Hadley Reynolds.
9. William2 Reynolds (Jonas1)33 was born 09 Oct 1795 in Surry Co, NC34. He married Patience Hadley 22 Nov 1819 in Surry Co, NC35, daughter of Simon Hadley and Mary Spencer. She was born Abt. 1802 in Surry Co, NC, and died in Surry Co, NC.
1820, Disowned by the Deep Creek Monthly Meeting (Quaker) for marrying outside unity.36
Child of William Reynolds and Patience Hadley is:
+ 20 i. William3 Reynolds, born Abt. 1831 in Surry Co, NC.
Generation No. 3
11. Jonas D.3 Reynolds (George2, Jonas1)37 was born 16 Jul 1813 in Surry Co, NC38,39,40,41,42,43, and died Abt. 28 Aug 1883 in Bates Co, MO44. He married Elizabeth P. Wilson 01 Oct 1833 in Surry Co, NC45. She was born Abt. 1813 in North Carolina46,47,48, and died Abt. 18 Feb 1886 in Bates Co, MO49.
1835 Surry Co, NC Tithables, Capt. Carter's District
Natives of NC who migrated to GA, Conway Co, AR in 1856 and Bates Co, MO in 1863. Farmer, brick mason, and Primitive Baptist. (History of Conway Co, 1890.)
Per Martha Ann Banks, Jonas Reynolds was a Brick Mason. He built brick furnaces in Rome, Georgia and the surrounding counties during his sojourn in GA. He had removed to Bates Co, MO by 1870.
Floyd Co, GA January 2, 1844. John Wilson, Jonas Reynolds, A. Phelps, Jesse H. Phelps & John H. Funderburk appointed appraisers for the estate of Washington D. Funderbunk, deceased.
Bates Co, MS Probate Records, Person in Charge of Estate: Reynolds, James; Paper #1537, Box #58
Children of Jonas Reynolds and Elizabeth Wilson are:
21 i. Jennette4 Reynolds, born Bet. 1834 - 1835 in Prob. Surry Co, NC50. She married Unknown Young.
At the time of the death of her father, Jennette Young was living in Conway Co, AR.
+ 22 ii. Mary C. Reynolds, born 1837 in Georgia; died Bet. 1880 - 1889 in Sebastian Co, AR.
+ 23 iii. Martha Ann Elizabeth Reynolds, born 22 Apr 1839 in Floyd Co, GA; died 10 Oct 1899 in Conway Co, AR.
24 iv. Adaline Reynolds, born Abt. 1843 in Floyd Co, GA; died Bef. 1883.
25 v. George Reynolds, born Abt. 1845 in Floyd Co, GA; died Bef. 1883.
+ 26 vi. James K. Reynolds, born 07 Oct 1848 in Georgia; died 27 Sep 1914 in Bates Co, MO.
+ 27 vii. William Reynolds, born Abt. 1851 in Georgia.
28 viii. Sarah Reynolds, born Abt. 1856 in Georgia; died Bef. 1883.
13. Hadley3 Reynolds (George2, Jonas1) was born 26 Aug 1816 in Surry Co, NC51,52,53. He married Margaret Martin 14 Jan 1838 in Surry Co, NC54. She was born Abt. 1818 in North Carolina55.
Children of Hadley Reynolds and Margaret Martin are:
29 i. Nancy D.4 Reynolds, born Abt. 1839 in Surry Co, NC55. She married William L. Nicholson 14 Dec 1856 in Yadkin Co, NC.
30 ii. Hiram C. Reynolds, born Abt. 1840 in Surry Co, NC55.
31 iii. Simon Reynolds, born Abt. 1842 in Surry Co, NC55.
32 iv. John Reynolds, born Abt. 1844; died Bef. 1850.
33 v. George W. Reynolds, born Abt. 1846 in Surry Co, NC55.
34 vi. Grace F. Reynolds, born Abt. 1849 in Surry Co, NC55.
15. William3 Reynolds (George2, Jonas1) was born 28 Nov 1820 in Surry Co, NC56,57, and died Bet. 1870 - 1880 in Yadkin Co, NC. He married (1) Rachel M.. She was born Abt. 1822 in North Carolina57, and died 06 Dec 1859 in Yadkin Co, NC. He married (2) Linda Chamberlain Bef. 1862. She was born 08 Aug 1832, and died 23 Nov 1899 in Yadkin Co, NC. He is buried in Yadkinville Cemetery, Yadkinville, NC.
1850 Surry Co, NC Census, p. 240 #1142-1148
Children of William Reynolds and Rachel M. are:
35 i. George T.4 Reynolds, born Abt. 1842 in Surry Co, NC57.
+ 36 ii. Sarah J. Reynolds, born 08 Jun 1844 in Surry Co, NC; died 26 Nov 1900.
37 iii. Daniel M. Reynolds, born Abt. 184757.
38 iv. William S. Reynolds, born Abt. 184957.
39 v. Jonah M. Reynolds, born Abt. 1857 in Yadkin Co, NC; died 1937 in Yadkin Co, NC. He married Mary C. Brogdon 14 Aug 1887; born 1861; died 1932. He is buried in Yadkinville Cemetery, Yadkinville, NC.
Children of William Reynolds and Linda Chamberlain are:
40 i. Ephraim A.4 Reynolds, born 04 Sep 1862; died 28 Aug 1918. He married Emma C. Steelman.
41 ii. Rachel M. Reynolds, born 1863.
42 iii. Wilson W. Reynolds, born 1866.
43 iv. David S. Reynolds, born 04 Feb 1869.
16. Abigail3 Reynolds (George2, Jonas1) was born 04 Jul 1823 in Surry Co, NC58,59, and died 03 Jun 1897. She married Joseph Wilson Carter. He was born 23 Dec 1823 in North Carolina59, and died 18 May 1909.
1850 Surry Co, NC Census, p. 217 #819-822
Children of Abigail Reynolds and Joseph Carter are:
44 i. Mary C.4 Carter, born 17 Nov 184559. She married Unknown Caudle.
45 ii. Nathan T. Carter, born 08 Jul 1847; died 09 Oct 1847.
46 iii. John Henry Carter, born 02 Nov 184959; died 04 Nov 1916.
47 iv. Lydia Permelia Carter, born 29 Oct 1851; died 08 Jul 1876.
48 v. Martha A. Carter, born 17 Oct 1855; died 20 Dec 1862.
49 vi. Ollie L. Carter, born 12 Apr 1858; died 23 Oct 1936.
50 vii. Sarah C. Carter, born 14 Jun 1861; died 27 Dec 1862.
51 viii. Unknown Carter, born 02 May 1864.
52 ix. William Asbury Carter, born 03 Jun 1866; died 26 Jul 1938.
20. William3 Reynolds (William2, Jonas1) was born Abt. 1831 in Surry Co, NC60. He married (1) Rachel. He married (2) Melinda 17 Dec 186061.
Child of William Reynolds and Melinda is:
53 i. Wilson4 Reynolds, born 186662; died 192562.
Generation No. 4
22. Mary C.4 Reynolds (Jonas D.3, George2, Jonas1) was born 1837 in Georgia63,64,65, and died Bet. 1880 - 1889 in Sebastian Co, AR66. She married (1) Unknown Chesser Bef. 185867. She married (2) Jesse Eskeridge 21 Oct 1866 in Floyd Co, GA68. He was born 1808 in North Carolina68,69, and died Bet. 1880 - 1889 in Sebastian Co, AR70. They are buried in Mount Zion Cemetery, near Hackett, Sebastian Co, AR
1880 Sebastian Co, AR Census, Center, Page 595D
At the time of her father's death Mary Eskeridge was living in Sebastine Co, AR.
Child of Mary Reynolds and Unknown Chesser is:
54 i. William J. W.5 Chesser, born Abt. 1858 in Georgia71.
23. Martha Ann Elizabeth4 Reynolds (Jonas D.3, George2, Jonas1) was born 22 Apr 1839 in Floyd Co, GA72,73,74,75, and died 10 Oct 1899 in Conway Co, AR76. She married William Wilson Scroggin 31 Jan 1861 in Conway Co, AR77, son of John Scroggin and Dica McAlister. He was born 15 Jan 1839 in Conway Co, AR78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86, and died 16 Mar 1904 in Morrilton, Conway Co, AR87. They are buried in Scroggin Cemetery, Conway Co, AR.
1870 Conway Co, AR Census, p. 73, Springfield PO, Washington Township, #87-87
Children of Martha Ann Elizabeth Reynolds and William Wilson Scroggin are:
55 i. John Jonas5 Scroggin, born 24 Nov 1861 in Conway Co, AR88,89,90,91; died 25 Feb 192492. He married Bettie Ann Broadaway 1882 in Arkansas93; born Sep 1860 in Arkansas93,94; died 1946.
Opened the mercantile firm of Scroggins Brothers with his brother O.O. Later they sold this business to enter the cotton oil mill industry. They opened the Morrilton Cotton Oil Mill, a business that grew so rapidly that in a comparative short while they operated gins in all leading cotton centers of the state. In 1910 they opened the cotton brokerage firm of Scroggin Brothers at Little Rock. J.J. returned to Morrilton after four years, but O.O. remained in Little Rock. J.J. was President of the First National Bank of Morrilton and was an active supporter for the development and progress of Morrilton and Conway County. He supervised the location in Morrilton of Harding College, brought about by the merger of Harding College of Harper, Kansas and Arkansas Christian College of Morrilton. The Scroggin Trust company was organized in December 1923 under his direction. He was president of the Morrilton Cotton Oil Mill, one of the owners of the American Cotton Oil Mill of Memphis and was considered one of the largest planters in the state, owning extensive farm and plantation interests. He was a Christadelphian and was instrumental in the erection of the Christadelphian Church in Morrilton. (Facts and Fancies of Scroggins Acres, pp 381-382)
56 ii. Balzora Scroggin, born 05 May 1864 in Conway Co, AR95,96,97; died 15 Nov 189498. She married J.P. Boren 24 Apr 188799. She is buried in Scroggin Cemetery, Conway Co, AR.
57 iii. Orville Oliver Scroggin, Sr., born 13 Feb 1867 in Conway Co, AR100,101,102; died 27 Jul 1927 in Little Rock, Pulaski Co, AR. He married Aurora Mary Brinkley Abt. 1892 in Arkansas103; born May 1874 in Arkansas103; died 1948104.
58 iv. William Henry Scroggin, born 29 Dec 1869104,105; died 13 Aug 1870.
59 v. James Chaney Scroggin, born 26 Jul 1871106,107; died 26 Jul 1892108. He is buried in Scroggin Cemetery, Conway Co, AR.
60 vi. Dora Belle Scroggin, born 05 Dec 1874 in Arkansas109,110; died 14 Jan 1957. She married Ernest Howard Dunaway Abt. 1895 in Arkansas111; born Oct 1874 in Arkansas111.
61 vii. Martha Jane Scroggin, born 27 Oct 1877 in Cleveland, Conway Co, AR112,113; died 12 May 1905 in Arkansas. She married (1) R. L. Wilbanks 06 Sep 1894 in Springfield, AR114; born Abt. 1871 in Arkansas; died Bef. 1900. She married (2) William Monroe Mills 25 Dec 1900 in Morrilton, Conway Co, AR115; born Feb 1869 in Paulding Co, GA116,117; died Bef. 15 May 1905 in Arkansas118.
1900 Conway Co, AR Census, Morrillton City, ED 16, #68-68, Salesman, Railroad Ave
62 viii. David Humphrey Scroggin, born 24 Jul 1880 in Conway Co, AR119.
Scroggins, Dave Humphrey, 38, England AR, b 24 Jul 1880, Merchant & Planter, Nearest Relative Della Mary Scroggin, Medium Height & Build, Blue Eyes, Light Hair (World War I Draft Registration Application)
26. James K.4 Reynolds (Jonas D.3, George2, Jonas1) was born 07 Oct 1848 in Georgia120,121,122, and died 27 Sep 1914 in Bates Co, MO123. He married Amanda W. Abt. 1880 in Prob. Bates Co, MO124,125. She was born 20 Nov 1861 in Indiana126,127,128, and died 23 Feb 1926 in Bates Co, MO129.
1880 - Enumerated in the Bates Co, MO household of his father Jonas Reynolds
Children of James Reynolds and Amanda W. are:
63 i. Sally E.5 Reynolds, born Abt. 1881 in Bates Co, MO. She married Unknown Beaman.
64 ii. George C. Reynolds, born 05 Nov 1881 in Bates Co, MO129,130; died 06 Sep 1973 in Bates Co, MO131.
1920 Bates Co, MO Census, Summit Township, ED 24 Sheet 4-B,
Supv District 6, #92-92
65 iii. Fay S. Reynolds, born Abt. 1894 in Missouri132.
27. William4 Reynolds (Jonas D.3, George2, Jonas1) was born Abt. 1851 in Georgia133. He married Susan. She was born Abt. 1857 in Missouri133.
1880 Bates Co, MO Census, Summit Township, p. 160A, ED 156, p 13, Supv District 6, #108-108
At the time of his father's death William Reynolds was living in Benton Co, AR.
Children of William Reynolds and Susan are:
66 i. William5 Reynolds, born Abt. 1875 in Missouri133.
67 ii. Charles Reynolds, born Abt. 1878 in Missouri133.
36. Sarah J.4 Reynolds (William3, George2, Jonas1) was born 08 Jun 1844 in Surry Co, NC134, and died 26 Nov 1900. She married Daniel V. Hutchens 15 Aug 1863 in Yadkin Co, NC.
Children of Sarah Reynolds and Daniel Hutchens are:
68 i. Mary S.5 Hutchens, born Abt. 1865 in Yadkin Co, NC.
69 ii. Charles V. Hutchens, born Abt. 1868 in Yadkin Co, NC.
1. William Wade Hinshaw, Encyclopedia of American
Quaker Genealogy, (Edwards Brothers, Inc., 1936), 978.
04/02/2006 04:00:10 PM