What is today called
Old Donation Episcopal
Church is the third building of the Lynnhaven Parish, which was established in 1637.
The first services were held in the home of Adam
& Sarah Thorowgood.
The first church building,
completed in 1639, was near the Lynnhaven River in what
is now the Church Point neighborhood. That
structure's foundation became a victim of the waters of
the river following the hurricane of 1667. Reports, possibly
rumors, circulated in earlier times regarding sightings of tombstones
on the bottom of the riverbed. But the 21st century Lynnhaven
River hides any underlying relics from the current
The second church was completed in 1692, near the site of the
current building. The 3rd Church was completed in 1736 and
continues to house the congregation, It is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.
Old Donation Episcopal Church continues to be an active, thriving
Episcopalian congregation, carrying the legacy of the many
individuals who shaped it's course into the 21st century. A
375th Anniversary Celebration was held on the weekend of June 23 -
24, 2012 with the Presiding Bishop & Primate of The Episcopal Church
and the Bishop of Southern Virginia participating. The
celebration culminated in a Festival Eucharist with the Presiding
Bishop of the United States serving as the celebrant for 3 of the
Old Donation Episcopal Church is located east of
Independence Boulevard at 4449 N Witchduck Rd, Virginia Beach,
The History of the People and the
Three Churches of Lynnhaven Parish, today known as Old Donation
Episcopal Church by Bob
Perrine, Church Historian
375th Anniversary Celebration
Pictures Coming Soon.